Wednesday 2 April 2014

My Favourite Prom Dresses (if I was 16 again)

Prom was a big deal at my High School; planned for months, talked about for the entire year and used as a threat against us by our head of year if we didn't behave - we apparently were not a great year - our year 10 trip to the cinema and bowling had been cancelled the year before so it was definitely a threat we were all taking seriously. For those with boyfriends, it was easy; you go with your boyfriend. That was a given. The main and only question had changed from, 'will he ask me to prom?' to, 'will he ask me to sit at his table at prom?' And for those without boyfriends, well, the hunt was on and it was every gal for herself. If you hadn't been asked by two weeks prior - you and your mate were going together, cos who needs lads eh? 

For the girls, there was A LOT of decisions to be made - hair, make up, shoes, and erm, did I mention, THE DRESS? Maybe prom was invented to give us girls a little taster (emphasis on the word little) of what planning a wedding might be like. I searched high and low for a dress and I hated them all. I'm not even exaggerating, I hated them all. The pressure was on for me especially since my date's parents had spent £500 on his Ted Baker suit, I could hardly rock up looking basic. So I set to work a good few months before and eventually, I discovered Whistles. Need I say more? I tried it on and it was SOLD. 


Looking back I'd say I could probably have done with the 10 rather than the 8 but apart from that, I was in love. (Far left). Also, the lady at the front with the flowers is the ice-cream lady who kindly drove us to prom in the ice-cream van - a decision made mainly because we tried to book a limo too late and also because we thought it would be pretty funny, which it was. Oh and did I mention the unlimited supply of ice cream?!

So due to my long and exhausting search, I was surprised to notice a lot of beautiful prom dresses out there at the moment. Here are my faves.

Okay, not a dress but I do love a tulle and felt compelled to include this one! Beautiful! Topshop £50.


Duchess Satin Bow Back Prom Dress, Topshop £75.


Mixed Lace Bodycon, Topshop £39.


Stand Out Flower Prom Dress, Topshop £68 (also available in pink).


Lotus Cut Work Dress, French Connection £185.


Holiday Poppy Full Dress, French Connection £125.


Gina Lace Evening Dress, Whistles £275.


Tulia Short Dress, Coast £160.


Andrica Short Dress, Coast £95


Jones and Jones Cassie Dress, £65


Ditsy Dorothy Dress, French Connection £195


Florida Bloom Mesh Dress, French Connection £150.


Mirror Floral Dress, ASOS £55.


Textured Cut Out Midi Dress, ASOS £35


Organza Overlay Dress, River Island £70


Jones and Jones Poppy Lace Prom Dress with Collar Detail, £60.


AQAQ Leah Mini Dress with High Neck and Low Back, £110.


ASOS PETITE Exclusive Lace Top Cami Mini DrESS, £35.


ASOS '50S Midi Dress With Cut Out Detail, £38.


ASOS Tiffany Midi Dress In Floral Jacqaurd, £85.


Summer Liana Lace Dress, French Connection £140.


No comments:

Post a Comment