Thursday 6 February 2014

5 Stressful Situations at the Hairdressers...

I would say that the majority of girls get stressed out about going to the hairdressers. I used to until I came to Brighton and found my perfect hairdresser! At my old salon, my main concern used to be whether she would cut my hair too short - hairdressers always seem to have a mind of their own, especially when your hair is in bad condition. I always used to tell my hairdresser I'd rather have long hair with a few split ends than have it short! Nightmare.

This all changed for me when I started going to Electric Hair in Brighton's North Lanes. Electric Hair is actually a chain salon which began in London and then spread to Reading, Liverpool, Oxford, Brighton and soon to be Edinburgh. The Brighton branch has also just teamed up with The Brow Studio which opened in January! Ahhhh the excitement! I love my hairdresser at electric, she is honestly perfect - a winning combination between knowing exactly what she's talking about AND listening to what I have to say. Oh, did I mention students get 40% off? What more could you want?

Having said that, I've had my fair share of stressful experiences. Here are my top five annoying parts of being at the hairdressers.

1. When they just don't listen. Yes - the main one, the 'biggy'. What is it with this? Some hairdressers are worse than others, at the top end of the scale you've got the guy who doesn't even listen to your request, just smiles and nods then grabs his scissors and does what he pleases. Time stands still, it's like you can't breathe. And then just like that, he's cut into your hair and there is no going back from here. You pray it will look better when its dried. Does hair look shorter when it's wet? Or is it the other way round? Can't a girl at least try and grow her hair? It doesn't matter how much you tell them that no, you don't want short hair, it might look good on Beyonce but that's because everything looks good on Beyonce and yes Jennifer Lawrence is fabulous - obviously. But please I just want to be Rapunzel is that too much to ask?

Even if you make it past the cutting stage alive, you've still got to face the issue of how they will style your hair. Not as stressful because obviously, (and as I did each time) you just go home and jump straight in the shower if you don't like it - it's not permanent. But it is so confusing because I swear none of them would style their own hair like this. Never ask for it to be styled curly. Whilst you might have the image of some nice wavy beach curls - this is not what your hairdresser is thinking. He cannot wait to try out his new Babyliss curling irons, the more cork screw esque - the better. You leave and you are a poodle. Equally do not ask for it to be styled straight. Unless you want hair that resembles glass, or hair that you can't even see because it is so flat to your face. There's no shape or volume and he's half a bottle down on serum trying to make it look 'glossy'. I don't get this because hairdressers do this to this day and it's just not okay anymore. I find 'blown straight with volume' is the best answer to 'how do you want me to style it today?'

2. Telling all your mates your having a radical hair change - think brunette to blonde, blonde to brunette - something big. Then leaving the hairdressers feeling rinsed and angry because it's not the right shade/not blonde enough/not dark enough/your highlights are so thin you can't even see them. There's nothing worse than when people fail to notice you've had your hair done. Notice anything different? Erm no? Always say something if you're not happy with your hair! What's the worst that could happen? You've spent 100 sheets on it after all.

3. Awkward chit-chat. I'll always remember the time when I was nine and my mum took me to the hairdressers. It was a Saturday afternoon and my hairdresser asked me where I was going that night. If I had been asked this now at the age of twenty-one, I would probably have been going out, heading to a party or going out with the boyfriend or something - why else would I be having my hair cut on a premium priced day unless completely necessary? But at the age of nine, I looked at her in confusion because I knew the only thing I would be doing that night would be going home to play with my barbie dolls, practise my times tables and watch Pop Idol.

4. Running out of magazines. Depending on what you're having - cut, colour, blow-dry, highlights, mask - whatever - sometimes you end up being in the hairdressers for hours and there's only so many magazines on that table at reception. No matter how many times they give me new mags - I always end up reading each one about three times. I leave fully clued up on how to do a fishtail bun and 100 % prepared to sit an exam in celebrity gossip.

5. Not getting a head massage. This I hate. I don't know about you but the thought of getting that complementary head massage during your shampoo is the only thing that calms me down - and when you're spending £100 on your hair, it's disappointing when your expectations are not delivered. You had it last time so why not this time? So upsetting. This is similar and on the same level as when they try and talk to you WHILST you're having your head massage. How am I supposed to be all zen and calm when I'm re-calling what subjects I did at A-level or where I went on holiday two years ago? Before you know it the head massage is over and you've told the guy washing your hair what each of your cousins do for a living. Can we do that again?

The trick with going to the hairdresser's is finding a good one - one who listens and actually cares about what you think. Be firm about what you want because you're the one paying and hair takes a while to grow, despite what your besties will say when you go home in tears. Also, always take a photo of how you want your hair (if possible). Even if you describe this in detail, you'd be surprised how different your hairdresser's interpretation will be.

1 comment: