Wednesday 7 May 2014

Shirley and Moe


Today I watched a video about an old lady from New York called Shirley, and her late husband, Moe. Shirley and Moe were separated from each other after three years of marriage when Moe was requested by the President, to be a doctor in the Second World War. Shirley tells director, Brandon Stanton, founder of the blog, ‘Humans of New York’, about her overseas relationship with her husband whilst he was away. The words in their letters were overwhelming and beautiful. Before the video was even half way I felt sad and moved by their story and the genuine unconditional love they seemed to have for each other, no matter what distance there was between them.

In the final minute of the video, Shirley tells us that Moe got sick, he deteriorated quickly and in an overwhelming moment of fear before he died, she asked him,

”Moe, what will I do without you?”  

Shirley tells Stanton that Moe told her to “take the love you have for me, and spread it around. A love, spread around. There, beauty is found.”

It is said that that after the First World War, every family on every street in every town or village, were grieving the loss of a son, brother, husband or father. It’s a concept unimaginable to us girls now, that one day, a war is announced, and with that our brothers, fathers, boyfriends and husbands are legally obliged to take part in a fight for their country. Whilst this was not quite the case with Moe, it is similarly heart wrenching. I watched the video and thought of my boyfriend and my older brother, who at their age would have been prime targets for conscripted soldiers in the First World War. It’s surreal, to even imagine that they could be taken away from me and from our families, in many cases never seen again. The only trace, a telegram; ‘Missing in action’, ‘Killed in active service’.

Today I procrastinated by reading articles such as, ’20 cakes that should be illegal’ and ’50 of the cutest baby animals’. I worried about my hair, drank too much coffee, wondered if it was okay to nap in the library and stressed about whether I will finish my dissertation, even though I know, I will. I would be heartbroken, completely lost, if my brother, boyfriend, friends or cousins were sent to war and lost their lives and I feel guilty about all the mother’s who watched their sons leave, the babies who grew up without their dad’s and the women, who like Shirley, were stripped of their soul mate after just three short years of marriage. I feel like we have to remember this when we have silly arguments, or take life and the people who make our lives what they are, for granted. 




xox

No comments:

Post a Comment