Sunday 17 August 2014

5 Reasons why my boyfriend regretted taking me to a football match...

So my last week living in Brighton and my boyfriend decides what better way to round off my uni experience, than to take me to a Brighton football game. Hmmm. We had lived in Brighton for three years, the first of which our halls were next to the football stadium, and we had never before been. So now was clearly the right time. 

No, I don't like football. Despite this, I was feeling optimistic. Also the promise of him paying for gbk beforehand kind of sealed the deal...

1. As I rolled up to his house in my black chelsea boots, high waisted black jeans and cutesy collared top (what the hell do you wear to a football match and dinner out?), I could literally read his mind: Should have invited one of the lads...I had only been to a football match once before in my life and that was when I was eight and a tomboy. Now, at 21 and as far from a tomboy as Gok Wan is to being butch, I felt I had dressed down as far as I could and that was that. 

2. As I've said, the last time I went to a football match was when I was eight, so never before have I had to browse the extensive range of alcoholic drinks sold at a football match. Beer, 'local ale' and cider. The thing is, I only like cider when it's mixed with something. And I only realised how stupid I sounded as the words "do you have blackcurrant for the cider?" came out of my mouth. I don't know if it was more embarrassing that before the poor girl could answer a solid NO, I answered my own question "oh shit no of course you don't, sorry". Somehow I ended up with a hot chocolate.

3. I was quite looking forward to the football match I have to admit and in the spirit of things we went into the merchandise shop because I wanted to buy a scarf. Perfect, I thought. I'll buy a scarf, then I'll look like a true fan and I can take it home with me as a lil Brighton momento. Then I realised they were £25 and I preferred the other teams colours anyway so what the hell was the point in buying one? We missed the first 10 mins queueing for no reason. Oooopsy. 

4. Saying "I didn't realise Brighton were such a crap team" in the middle of the second half, when no-one had scored and everyone was exasperated, surrounded by die hard Brighton fans. Nearly weeing myself with fear when one such fan sat next to me said "who do you support then?" and all I could whisper was "Man United..." made things a lot worse. 

5. Missing the first goal of the match whilst listening intently to a father explaining to his son what the off-side rule is all about. The five year old understood, but I still do not and there was about a five second delay between everyone in the stadium standing up to cheer, and me slowly standing up to get involved.

Needless to say he'll be thinking twice about taking me next time...xox



No comments:

Post a Comment